Friday, February 12, 2010

Question Friday 06

This week's questions all come from the ever diligent Meiri. I'm warning you before hand, these will probably inspire giggles, because they are awesome like that. 

--

1. What are the top three commodities and resources in [Kingdom]?
Being that this is a steampunk fiction, there's a lot of steam run engines and technology around. In fact, the ship that he eventually ends up on, all of the technology is run on one massive furnace. Now, when we think steam engine, we think coal. However, there's an unnamed material that I've yet to create that burns hotter than coal and is also fictional. It is a mineral (I think, I'm still working on it) and it is found in large deposits in the ground. [Kingdom] has quite a few deposits in it's territory and mining it is a huge industry. Also, the refining of this material is huge as well. It would be the equivalent to petroleum. That's not three, but I haven't thought up the other two yet.

2. Who are [Kingdom]'s most important trade partners?
The (also unnamed) kingdom directly to the south of is there most trusted trade partners. There is a more hostile kingdom to the south east that is a strong partner, but it is a little more tense when trading with them. Again, this mostly bases around the mineral I was talking about. 

3. Does [Kingdom] do a lot of importing or exporting? What sorts of goods?
They export a huge amount of fish over the span of a year. With a huge coastline to the north and west, there is a huge market for fishing. The kingdom is very much centered around the use of water. Copper is another one. There's a lot of techology that involves steam engines and electric generators and copper is the most used metal for conducting electricity, much like here. They also do a lot of manufacturing for heavy machinery. 

4. For the most part, are the subjects of [Kingdom] pleased with their economic situation? Comfortable? Struggling? Discontent?
The closer you are to the central kingdom, where the royal family is, the happier you are. The coasts have a strong economic situation than inland. Most people are struggling outside of the wealthiest bracket. There's a few pockets of people that you can imagine that are very upset with their lives and so on, but overall, I would say they are just above a middle class. Julian will get to witness these locations and people first hand, as well.

5. Are there lightbulbs in [Kingdom]? If not, is there a replacement for the "How many [whatever]s does it take to change a lightbulb?" joke?
Seeing as there is actually electricity in [Kingdom] (oh my god, I need to name this place), then it only makes sense that there are light bulbs of some kind. However, some rural areas that can't get their own electrical grid working, then there's a lot more candles and oil lamps and such. As for the joke, I'll have to see if I can come up with some. I'm sure Milo will know a few.

6. Are there famous historical figures whose legends will provide inspiration for Julian when he comes across obstacles on his quest?
He mostly knows all the bad legends. There's a lot more out in the world for him to fear than for him to find inspiration from. Mostly, when it comes to the education he receives and subsequently the legends and historical figures he knows, they are previous kings. He is most pressured by the legacy his father left for him to uphold, which is going to be tough, since his father completed hi quest just over three months early; that's faster than any king ever.

7. Who was Julian's first crush?
Daphne. She is the sister of his closest friend. I will have to write up character info on those two soon, since I have no idea who they are other than they are the people he grew up with.

8. What's Julian's preferred strategy when he gets lost?
Panic.

9. What is Julian's vocal range? Can he carry a tune? Does he have a favourite drinking song?
He is I imagine a tenor or baritone... probably a tenor, though. He can carry a tune and he will carry a tune if he happens to be drinking. Now that you've planted this in my head, I think I need to write a drinking song for him. 

10. Can Julian pull off an authentic commanding voice? Does he sound haughty or reedy or nasal?
I actually have 'heard' Julian's voice in my head. I know what he sounds like. He attempts authority and commanding, but it isn't very convincing. He sounds more haughty than anything, but he ranges into whining sometimes when he's frustrated. Especially if it is induced by Milo.

11. Does [Kingdom] have an equivalent question for: Boxers or briefs?
I am not even sure I want to answer this question. Though, Julian strikes me as a briefs kind of guy.

---

Thanks for the questions. You get brownie points for being awesome. Next week this all starts over again. Hopefully I will be able to set a schedule for posting since I might be getting a full time job, that will bogart most of my time. Prayers are more than welcome. 

Have a great weekend!

LL&P

No comments:

Post a Comment