Friday, January 1, 2010

Welcome!

Every New Year I make up some stupid resolution that I promptly break. I figure that way I can get the disappointment out of the way and not worry about it later on. I've even made the resolution to not make a resolution, which essentially breaks the resolution immediately and therefore taking care of the whole thing in one go. I like my little game I play. It's fun for me and probably no one else, but that's the point. This year, however, demanded I do something better than scoff at people who have things like 'goals' and 'a future.' Ha! Who needs that? Well, apparently I do.

I've been planning to write a book... a few books. Most of the ideas get developed enough to start, but not enough to finish and half way through I decide that it wasn't as good an idea as I thought. But in the past few months there has been an idea that has been nagging me, pulling at me, and demanding my attention. I've been pushing it around all the corners of my brain, waiting for it to take hold of a more solid plot. Not too long ago it finally became a full fledged plot, from beginning to end. There's details to work out, of course; all those little things about the characters, plots, subplots, and the world this story will exist in. That is what this blog is for.

My New Year's Resolution came to me from watching Julie & Julia. When that movie came out, I figured that I could write a blog, too. Yes, there's a lot of people that assume they can write a blog just because they have a thought in their head, but this is more than just writing a blog to show off my skills of knowing how to use a computer. Instead, I am using this blog to keep myself in check. I am going to post here all kinds of information about my book, my ideas and the characters. You will get little snippets of plot and events that took place even before the plot.

Here are the rules:

  • I will post a minimum of five times a week. Usually this will mean Monday through Friday, but there may be a few times that I post something on the weekend. 
  • I will use this blog to post information about my book. This means that I will be sharing information about the characters, plot and world I am creating. 
  • I will post even when I haven't done any work on my book. This gives you permission to yell at me when I post something that has nothing to do with my book. 
  • I will post design ideas, plot ideas, and art. This means I have to work on it daily, even though I accept the fact that sometimes I have other responsibilities and I can't dedicate a lot of time every day. 

Here's the summary. I am writing a blog to develop my book and create a fanbase for characters that you all haven't even read yet. This will help me dedicate time to writing as well as keeping myself in check. These first few posts will be me throwing around ideas of how to keep my readers interested and what you can expect out of this blog. I have to come up with my set format for posting and such. We will see how it goes.

But before I thank you for reading, you probably want to know what the heck this story is about! Well, it is an epic steampunk fantasy about the quest of a kingdom's prince. Steampunk is a fantasy genre where the society is more old fashioned, but with technology that is advanced past even what we are at. It is an extremely industrial age with old social standards. A good example of this is the Disney movie Treasure Planet. Some of the things you can expect is flying ships, harnessing lightning as energy and kings, princes, bounty hunters and pirates. It is a trilogy, so all three books will follow the main character (who you will learn more about soon) and his epic journey into finding his place in the kingdom.

Some great resources for figuring out what this 'steampunk' thing is is by searching it through Deviant Art. There are so many amazing pieces of art that very much embody the feel and ideas that I am going for.

Thanks for reading and I really hope you decide to stick with me through this journey. If you love to read and love to discuss ideas, I can't wait to get your feedback. Recommend this blog to your friends! I can't wait to get started.

Always,
Alexandra

1 comment:

  1. By the way, you all are more than welcome to comment. Please do!!

    ReplyDelete