Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Quest of Kings

I've decided to start of with a few legends and traditions that come along with this story. It will provide you with a little backstory into this world (which I still haven't named yet, my bad). Since I won't be giving away a lot of information on the official plot, I figured it would be nice for you all to have something fun to think about.

So, the first history lesson about this unnamed world? The Quest of Kings. This is the quest that our hero, Julian, is embarking on. The Quest of Kings is an ancient tradition passed down from dynasty to dynasty. The only way that the crown can be passed to the prince is when he completes his quest.

For as long as the kingdom has existed, this tradition has been in practice. The oldest son celebrates his twentieth birthday by a grand ball that is thrown for him by the king and queen. He is then given the family sword, as well as a family crest that is passed on from king to prince. It is the only proof that the prince is allowed to carry on him that he is in fact part of the royal family. From the day of his twentieth birthday, he has one year exactly to complete his quest.

This quest begins with his search of the Oracle, a legendary wise man who holds the secrets of the kingdom... or so he says. I'll give you more on the Oracle later. Once he's found the him, the Oracle gives the prince his mission. It usually involves him finding an ancient artifact. They are never easy to find and the Oracle does not give hints, clues or maps to the location where it is hidden.

You can see that I'm clearly trying to torture poor Julian. First he has to go on a quest with limited information and limited resources and he can't just go find some artifact, he has to find a specific one, but only after he finds this Oracle person! Oh, how evil am I? Its good.

More on the laws regarding passing the crown tomorrow!

And the question for discussion today, if you could name a mythical, fantasy kingdom with a steampunk flair, what would you choose?

.

3 comments:

  1. I don't feel at all qualified to answer this question because I compeltely failed to name my steampunk realm. Seriously, the naming of all things stumps me but that one stung the most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the legend, it actually reminds me of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, which we read last term. And I'm still confused as to why it's called "steampunk", lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, the term 'steampunk' eludes me as well. Perhaps it has to do with the industrial theme that the genre seems to use? I don't know.

    As for names... ugh, I have no clue yet. When I know, this blog will be the first place I post it.

    ReplyDelete