Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Opportune Moment

As promised, today I'm letting you in on the god that goes with The Oracle. There were some very good guesses, that really did make perfect sense. However, I failed to mention–and maybe this was just me being malicious–that the god did not have to be on the list from a couple days ago and I also didn't mention that all the gods correspond in gender, as well. My bad.

The Oracle's Greek god equivalent is one of my favorite gods, merely for the philosophical debates that it tends to invoke. Kairos is also the god of time, but not the chronological time like Chronos, but rather the opportune moment. Kairos refers to the time between the sequential time. It is more the response to opportunity, or the use of time in regards to momentous, defining moments in our life. 

There are a few reasons I chose Kairos for The Oracle's counterpart. The first is that I knew I wanted Kairos to be a part of the inspiration. I find that this trilogy has a lot to do with time. Firstly, our quest has a set amount of time that it must occur in. It also is a transitional time in our hero's life. There are so many elements that involve time, whether it be the measure of time or the timing of these events in his life. The Oracle is the catalyst to this change in him. The character arc for Julian is closely tied to The Oracle and the role he plays. In the first book, the plot focuses on locating this legendary wise man. The Oracle is the life changing moment. 

There are aspects of The Oracle that are very similar to that of Hermes. He is the go-between character and a bit of the messenger, however, he is more the instigator of the experience. He isn't just translating a message for the heir of the throne, he is actually choosing the quest that will shape the young man's life. I find that this is much closer to the personification of the opportune moment than anything else.

It's as shorter post today because I'm not feeling well and can't focus much longer. I might give you more info on Kairos tomorrow. He is definitely my favorite god. He instigates a lot of great debate. So, for the comments tonight, let me know what you think of Kairos as the corresponding god for The Oracle. Do you agree? Is there more to it that you think you can find or do you think I'm crazy? Let's talk it out!

2 comments:

  1. Kairos, obviously, never occured to me. I'm not that familiar with him. He just isn't one of the ones they mentioned on the worksheets in Grade Two, or one of the ones mentioned in entry-level Classics courses at my university. Perhaps because instructors didn't want to have to explain the concept of time as pertains to the critical moment.

    Hmm... most tales centre around the opportune moment - even Pirates of the Carribean. :)

    I need to read up more on Kairos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, he is my favorite god merely because of the sort of mystery that shrouds him. I love that there are two gods for time that represent the different sides of time. There is time the measurement and timing. They are essential to one another.

    And yes, Pirates of the Caribbean does use the phrase opportune moment. Hehe. Isn't that fun?

    ReplyDelete