Thursday, January 14, 2010

I've done some more research on Kairos, and you know what's weird? This god is just as elusive as The Oracle. First of all, not all accounts call him a god. Some are convinced that he is a she. Of course, I go with the male version, but that isn't the point. Then, there is the many different definitions of what he actual is the god of. Another name for him is Caerus.

The Greeks had two words for time; chronos and kairos. Of course, these both are the names of gods, but represent different versions, as I've said. Kairos has been described as the opportune moment, the god/goddess of pure time, or the spirit of opportunity. There's a few accounts of him being described as a youthful man with hair hanging in his eyes, but none on the back of his head. He's also described as being completely naked with winged feet. It is quite a strange description for a god, but that isn't the first time that the Greeks sounded like they were on something when they came up with myths.

Aesops Fables go on to say that you must catch Kairos when he is in reach, but once he has moved on, not even Zeus could catch him. That sounds like an awful lot of power in a god who doesn't have a set description.

Alright, this is a bit of a rambling post. I wasn't sure what to talk about so I started to do more research and then realized that, geesh, there isn't anything set for this particular god. I only have the information I know from a Mythology class I took and any resources I can find on the internet.

This is a boring post. I'm sorry about that. I plan to have some art or inspirational pictures up next week as I get on with more of the world. I'm not sure whether you would like to hear more about the de Arques dynasty or if you want more on the actually world around it. This kingdom is still not named. I need to get working on a map, too. Wow, there's a lot left to do.

Alrighty, its Thursday, which means y'all need to ask me questions! I am going to Disneyland tomorrow, so I will be posting early in the morning and so you absolutely have to ask me things asap. I'm not sure what you want to ask, whether it be about this whole theme or future posts or what kind of hair products I use. I don't know. Have at it!

.

3 comments:

  1. My question is, will there be romance?;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, sorry if you've already answered these questions.

    1) What inspired you to write the story?
    2) Why did you choose the gods/goddesses that you choose?

    Sorry, that's all I could think of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First. Kairos!? Wth? why are you an enigma wrapped in a mystery?!

    a) Julian. What's his fave outfit? What's his fave food? Who's his best friend? What's his most prized possession? What one thing could he lost that he would be absolutely lost without?

    b)Will you have a Gaia equivalent, do you think? She's not my favourite goddess but she's kinda neat. :)

    c) What rides are you gonna go on?! I've never been to DL and I want to live vicariously!

    d) What's your favourite kind of cookie?

    * I lovelovelove you!
    ** I'm using a different ID because I'm on my boss' computer. And it's 2am and I don't want to fiddle too much!

    <3 Meiri

    ReplyDelete