Monday, January 25, 2010

King of [Kingdom]

I've decided to introduce you to the de Arques family this week. So far, none of my characters have faces other than Julian, so you will just have to imagine that they all look somewhat similar to each other. First, I'd like you to meet the King of [Kingdom], our heroes father.


Name: Julian Therius de Arques II
Nickname: None
Age: 48
Height: 6’1
Weight: 200-225
Build: Tall, strong, and broad.
Eyes: Narrow, intense hazel.
Skin: Olive, darker than his son
Hair: Shoulder length and mostly grey covered through previous dark brown hair.
Other Facial Features: Strong features, regal look, weathered skin and wrinkles around his eyes and mouth.
Occupation: King
Personality: Level headed, tradition minded, looks to the future of the kingdom and takes his place in society very seriously, often pushing too far. His intimidating characteristics can only be subdued by his wife.
Background: The fouteenth king of the de Arques dynasty. He completed his journey to the Oracle and his quest in seven months, a shorter period of time than any king before him. He has been the strongest ruler yet, keeping his kingdom well in tact, though there are still oposers of his rule.
Greek God Equivalent: Zeus


Pretty typical, I think for a King/father character. I know that, and I knew going into it that he would seem that way, but he serves his purpose in Julian's life this way. It should be interesting to explore the relationship between Julian and the King since they are different kings of personalities, while still being on the same side. They both want what's best for the kingdom, but Julian is just too young to have the experience and I think that is the only thing that really separates them when it comes to a relationship.

3 comments:

  1. In my experience youth and inexperience, along with the accompanying drive to independence and absolute certainty that one is right (well, if you were like me), prevents open relationships between kids and parents.

    I love that Julien has such a strong role model in his father. I find it far more typical of fantasy that the protagonist is the orphaned boy who grows up as an orphan and is destined for greatness. Nothing against the tropes, which exist because they work, but I like that Julien has a *present* father.

    ~Meiri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I can agree with that. An independent, inexperienced child often causes some issues, but in the end, I think Julian will learn at least a little something. As for the King, I liked the idea of him being a strong figure. Granted he is pretty difficult to deter from what is on his mind and he is definitely difficult to get along with if he's in that mood, but he's a pillar for the family and the kingdom. He's made a great impression on his son and that will come into play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totally in love with the Greek gods theme, even though i've told you this a million times. Honestly... it's a fantastic idea.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete