Monday, January 11, 2010

Greek Mythology and Related Gods

Oh, I am so unprepared for today's post. I was going to do the Legend of the Oracle or the de Arques family history, but realized a little too late that I'm not entirely sure how those legends/histories play out just yet. I still need to do some more brainstorming on those before I finalize them and feel confident posting it all here.

Instead, I am going to introduce you to something that I had mentioned on Friday about my inspirations. There's a running theme with all of my characters that is very specifically chosen. Each character that I create has a Greek god equivalent. This doesn't mean that their story directly follows that of the god they are modeled after, but they do have similarities. Most characters, you will notice, have been named for their greek god. Not all, of course. Sometimes it is even a far reach of the name. At any rate, they all have their parallel characters.

There's a few reasons I did this. Mostly, it is to satisfy my love of Greek mythology and to include it in my stories. I tend to use it as a model in some ways. Also, since this trilogy is meant to, in some ways, mirror the Greek epics, I knew it needed to be included. There is also the matter of using it as a familiar model. Not everyone is familiar with Greek mythology, but it allows me to include the classic themes in literature that I really fell in love with.

Here's a list of Greek gods and their qualities that you can expect to see in my own characters. There is only one character to each god/goddess.


Aphrodite - The goddess of lust, love and beauty. Known as the most beautiful goddess. Her symbols are the septor, myrtle and dove. The Roman equivalent is Venus.

Apollo - Associated with being the god of music, prophecy, medicine, health, poetry and archery. He is also linked to Light and Truth, as well as the sun. Apollo is known for being the most attractive god. His twin sister is Artemis and is the son of Zeus. His symbols are the bow, lyre and laurel. The Roman equivalent is the same.

Artemis - Goddess of the hunt, wild things and the moon. She is the twin sister of Apollo. Known to be a virgin goddess. Her symbols are the bow, dogs and deer. The Roman equivalent is Diana.

Athena - Goddess of wisdom, warfare, strategy, handcrafts and reason. She is another daughter of Zeus. She came into being in full armor and is known to be the wisest of the gods. Her symbols are the aegis, owl and olive tree. The Roman equivalent is Minerva.

Chronos - The Keeper of Time. Often shown as the god turning the zodiac wheel. The Roman equivalent is Saturn.

Hephaestus - God of fire and the forge, or the god of smiths. He is the only god to be cast out of Olympus. He is crippled and said to be ugly. He makes the armor for the gods and some Greek heroes. His symbols are the axe, hammer and flame. The Roman equivalent is Vulcan. (This always makes me happy.)

Hera - Goddess of woman, childbirth and marriage. She is married to Zeus. Her symbols are the scepter, diadem and peacock. The Roman Equivalent is Juno.

Hermes - God of flight, thieves,  mischief, commerce and travelers. He is the messenger of the gods and leads the dead souls to Hades. He is found in more myths than any other god. He is tricky and inventive, and his symbols are caduceus and winged boots. The Roman equivalent is Mercury.

Moirae - Also known as The Fates. This is the collection of three gods that control the thread of life. The first, Clotho, spins the thread of life. The second, Lachesis, measures the thread that will become the lifespan of every mortal. The final, Atropos, cuts the thread of life. Their Roman equivalent is the Parcae and were named Nona, Decima and Morta.

Zeus - He is the king of the gods, ruler of Mount Olympus and the god of the sky and thunder. His symbols are the thunderbolt, eagle, bull and oak. The Roman equivalent is Jupiter.


You can expect to see more themes, creatures and various gods throughout the characters. Its a fun game to play, trying to find the parallels between my characters and the gods in Greek mythology. I can't wait to share more with you about the characters, but for now, this will have to do.

2 comments:

  1. You just made my inner mythology nerd very, very happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to have another mythology nerd on board. I can't wait to get more into it.

    ReplyDelete